Tuesday 8 May 2018

Asking Mahathir to save Malaysia? We better save Sarawak from him!



By HT Wong
I was rather amused to see a banner "Sokong  Tun Mahathir Selamatkan Malaysia" being hanged strategically at the roadside on the way to Kota Sentosa.

I had just arrived from Singapore where I have set up a business many years ago - in fact when Mahathir was the prime minister then.

My old friend from our  secondary days took me to Kota Sentosa to have a bowl of kueh chap which my friend claimed to be the best in town. (I am not sure about that!)

As he drove his car to Kota Sentosa, I saw this banner and immediately I asked him to pull the car to the roadside so I could snap this "wonderful" banner with my handphone.

My purpose to return to Kuching is to cast my vote because I know that my vote, though only vote, is crucial.

"Save Malaysia from what?" I asked my friend as I took several photographs of the banner.

My friend gave a shrug and stretched his right hand, indicating that he couldn't give the answer.

Later in the evening, my friend took me to one of the ceramahs organised by the DAP and it was then I knew why the Opposition needed Mahathir to come out of his retirement and to save Malaysia.

I was not convinced with the reasons because I know what he did when he was the prime minister of 22 years.

He is the main reason why Malaysians left Malaysia and worked in foreign countries. I must admit I was one of them.

So, why should we trust him or give him a second chance to redeem himself for his past misdeeds?

Didn't he give Malay Agenda his top priority, adversely affecting mostly the Chinese?

Was he not the one who declared Malaysia as a Muslim state just to counter PAS which has been aggressively promoting its politico-religious ideology in the country? Maybe, those DAP guys have forgotten about this statement.

Was he not the one which destroyed the judiciary and other institutions in the country in accordance  with his whims and fancies? Ask those in the legal profession if you are doubtful.

Was he not the one who asked his crony to take over the profit-making Malaysia Airlines? See what has happened to MAS now?

Was he not the one who opposed Sarawak's demand for a 20 per cent oil royalty and then he asked 3 per cent cut to be given to Kedah? So how can we trust him to be our prime minister again? So how can we trust him that he will give a 20 per cent royalty to Sarawak as PH has promised?

I hope and pray that there will be no second coming for him. Sarawakians must remember Mahathir's misdeeds and don't simply vote for DAP candidates in Sarawak. That is my advice.

Remember that during his time as prime minister, all the Sarawak local banks were ordered to merge with the big banks from Malaya.

PH has promised to get rid of GST. I am all for it. But from where PH will get the money from to replace revenue from GST?

Mahathir said during his time as prime minister, there was no GST. Agreed.
But he did not say that much of the money for the federal budget came from Sarawak's oil and gas. So, there was no need for him to impose GST then.

Now,  PH led by Mahathir wants to remove GST. Of course I welcome it. But at the same time, I am concerned and worried that he may be looking at Sarawak's oil and gas to fill the federal coffers, even if Sarawak disagrees.

We all know that Sarawak government wants to take full control of our oil and gas resources, but may find Mahathir as the main stumbling block, if PH comes to power. We can say that he will find ways and means to stop Sarawak and get his way. So if he removes GST, he will turn to our oil and gas resources as the main sources of revenue. He has already repeated many times in the past that he didn't want Sarawak to have the revenue from oil and gas to ourselves.

Sarawak can deal with Najib because with Sarawak's support, the Barisan is still in power. So we look at Najib's position from a point of weak and vulnerable. So long as Sarawak still supports him, he remains as the prime minister.

And when Chief Minister Abang Johari publicly declared that Sarawak would take control of oil and gas resources by enforcing the Oil Mining Ordinance, Najib did not make any noise. Najib didn't even say a word when Abang Johari declared that the Territorial Sea Act was not applicable to Sarawak.

But Mahathir? Whether he is weak or not, he is known for his strong character and he will do what he will say he will do. Will Sarawak dare to challenge him? In the past, Sarawak leaders just bowed their heads down when Mahathir spoke. I doubt if Sarawak present leaders will stand up against him, that is, when he becomes the prime minister.

Mahathir's relationship with DAP, PKR and Amanah is based on a fake understanding. He is using PH to remove Najib as prime minister in the general election. He has lots of grudges against Najib for not following his way. With Najib out as prime minister, he will have his way and will be able to dictate his way to be the next prime minister.

So, Mahathir's main reason to kick Najib out of power is personal in nature. When it is very personal, he can't make constructive and rationale decisions.

DAP, PKR and Amanah have different motives in accepting Mahathir as their ally. They want power and be the next to form the federal government. They see Mahathir as still an influential factor to achieve their dream of forming the next government.

They know that Mahathir, despite his age and no longer the prime minister,  still commands influence among the Malays. So, DAP, PKR and Amanah see this as a window of opportunity to topple the BN government in the general election.

DAP is the main actor while PKR and Amanah as playing the supporting roles in the whole scheme to get Mahathir to be on their side and support their political cause.

I don't care what will happen in West Malaysia if PH comes to power. Like many Sarawakians, I am very concerned if PH comes to power. It will mean the return of Mahathirism - a period of an autocratic government and dictatorship in Malaysia.

Those who are advocating for greater autonomy for Sarawak and asking for the return of Sarawak's rights from the federal government, may not find it comfortable to see Mahathir as prime minister.

Mahathir has a history of detaining Sabahans, like Jeffrey Kitingan, Maximus Ongkili and some others, under the Internal Security Act when they asked for the return of Sabah's rights.

During his time as prime minister, who dared to shout "Sarawak For Sarawakians" slogan openly?

We all know that Mahathir's favourite song is "I did it my way", made famous by Frank Sinatra. If PH wins more elected seats in the general, Mahathir will do his way and who can stop him? Not even Anwar Ibrahim, Lim Kit Siang and Mat Sabu.

No comments: