KUCHING, May 20 2026: Deputy Premier Douglas Uggah told the state legislative assembly (SLA) that the handing over of the Bintulu Port will be finalised by the end of next month.
Caption: Deputy Premier Douglas says consolidating all the ports to be finalised by third quarter of this year
He said the consolidation of all state port authorities under a central port authority - the Sarawak Ports Authority - to be finalised by the third quarter of this year.
“This will streamline policy-making, regulation, and harmonise development efforts alongside the implementation of strategic Sarawak ports masterplan,” he said in his winding up speech in the SLA.
In December last year, the federal government agreed to the transfer of Bintulu Port to Sarawak government for a value of RM1.8 billion.
Uggah, who is also Minister of Infrastructure and Port Development, also said the state ports recorded encouraging growth in early 2026, with throughput in the first quarter having increased by 10% compared to the first quarter of 2025.
“This demonstrates the resilience of our economy in this uncertain geopolitical climate,” he said.
He also said that the state ports are undergoing development through strategic projects such as the proposed dredging and associated works at Batang Baram Delta, Miri, which is targeted to complete by the end of 2026, to enable deeper draught vessels to call at Miri Port.
He said the vehicle yard at Senari Terminal has been expanded to accommodate 1,000 additional vehicles, raising total capacity to 3,500 by 2026.
“This move positions Senari as a leading regional hub for car distribution; extension of wharf at Senari Terminal by 250 meters inclusive of 30 meters for mooring dolphin, this will allow the port to handle more vessels.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)