Sunday 1 May 2016

I may be political novice, but I am not corrupt

By Athina Klaywa Sim,
PKR candidate for Serembu

I am aware that my opponents have used my age against me. I would not be surprised if they continue to denigrate me and Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) during this campaign period.  Yes, I am young and yes, I am a novice politician. But they fail to realize though that because I am a novice, I have not been tainted by money politics, dirty tactics or corruption. Because I am young, I will serve the people and fight for their rights with integrity and honesty.  


 Athina Klaywa Sim with State PKR leaders a press conference.


Datuk Peter Minos, a political analyst, recently said that PKR is not doing anything for the Bidayuhs. This is a lie. PKR, including myself, have spent many years fighting for Bidayuh’s right to land. Together with PKR, I have been very vocal in demanding for better infrastructure for Bidayuh communities. After many years of being under BN, they cannot even provide street lights in Kampung Puak, Kampung Krokong and Kampung Tanjung Durian, or on the road after Kampung Keranji to Bau district.  

But most importantly, PKR is now fielding me, Athina Sim, as their candidate for Serembu. BN has never allowed a Bidayuh lady to contest in any elections. PKR is giving me this opportunity, because for PKR, the voice of a Bidayuh, the voice of a lady, the voice of youth, must be heard in the Sarawak State Assembly. 

With the support of the Serembu people, I hope to become the next State Assembly representative. I am not chasing a cabinet position, I am not chasing money or expensive cars; my only objective is to serve the people. I hope the Serembu voters will see above the money politics and political games that might be used by my opponents, and will choose me instead for my honesty and sincerity. 

Barisan Nasional have ruled Sarawak since the 1970s. Although Sarawak is one of Malaysia’s richest states in terms of natural resources, this has not translated into wealth creation or health facilities for the benefit of Sarawakians. Unfortunately, Sarawak’s poverty levels are amongst the highest in the country. We also have the highest maternal death rate and very high levels of malaria. This shows great disproportions in the way that Barisan Nasional’s politicians have used and distributed the state’s wealth, suggesting greed and corruption take priority over the welfare of the people. 

Although I am a novice, I am sincere and I have integrity. And a novice but sincere politician, is far better than an experienced but dishonest one.  May 1, 2016

No comments: