Sunday 14 July 2024

Bandar Kuching MP says his name was used by an individual in a suspected cheating and dishonesty case

By Simon Peter

KUCHING, July 14, 2024 - Bandar Kuching MP Dr Kelvin Yii has given his statement to the police over a suspected cheating and dishonesty case where an individual was using his name to organise a singing competition at a hotel here, last year.

Picture shows Bandar Kuching MP Dr Kelvin Yii at the police station where his statement was recorded.

The hotel had lodged a police report for non-payment of bills incurred in organising the competition.

He explained the individual contacted his office asking for grant, but it was not approved due to the failure to follow procedures.

“My secretary than explained the procedures for application of grants and that we can only allocate to an NGO registered within our constituency (procedures set by the federal government), and was unable to allocate to any business or money making entity,” he said in a Facebook post yesterday.

Dr Yii said after multiple explanations by his secretary, the individual then still invited him to attend the event to "show support" even though he did not allocate any funds.

“Unfortunately/fortunately I was unable to attend it due to work commitments and only sent a representative to go,” he said.

“After the event, the individual did not pay the hotel for costs of event and when demanded, he used my name and claimed that I promised and committed to pay for the event.

“So police report was lodged and I am here to give my statement and furnishing all evidences, including screenshot of all WhatsApp conversations and documents to prove that no payment was promised on behalf.

“When it comes of handling of public funds, I am very  particular and will follow all necessary procedures not only because I am audited, but more importantly it is because I am handling public funds which has been entrusted to me.

“So I am very 'pantang' when it comes to usage of public funds and will expect the utmost form of accountability  and transparency of myself and office,” he said, saying that he published his yearly expenditures for the public information.

He said the police have assigned an investigative officer who worked hard on this case.

“I was informed this is not first time this has happened with this particular individual.

“Hope all investigation can be carried out smoothly and justice be served,” Dr Yii, who was accompanied by his assistant, who is a lawyer, to lodge the report.

 

No comments: