Tuesday 23 December 2014

Stop giving excuses, just investigate, Chong tells MACC

KUCHING, Dec 23, 2014: Sarawak DAP chairman Chong Chieng Jenn(picture) has told the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to stop giving excuses for not acting on his complaint on the award of a road project in Kapit to Impian Zaman Sdn Bhd.


"If MACC refuses to act on my complaint on the award of the Kapit Jalan Song/Sungai Yong (Pakej B) project to Impian Zaman Sdn Bhd, just tell all Malaysians about its true intent, and stop giving excuses for not taking action," he said today when responding to MACC deputy commissioner (operations) Mohd Shukri Abdull's statement asking for more additional information from the State DAP on the case.

Shukri had said that MACC wanted the State DAP to share any information it has on alleged corruption in the award of a road construction project in Kapit.

Replying, Chong, who is also Bandar Kuching Member of Parliament, said:" I have given the particulars of the project involved, how much over-priced the government is going to pay for the project (at least by RM20 million), the incredibility of a RM1 million capital company undertaking a RM119 million project and the unusual secret conversion of “open tender” to “selected tender”.

"What more does MACC want or need from me?

"Is MACC expecting me to provide them some bank accounts and transactions of the company involved?" he asked, adding:" That would be against the law.  If I were to give the bank accounts statements of the company involved, I would be charged under the Personal Data Protection Act, 2010 or Banking and Financial Institutions Act, 1989 (BAFIA)."

Chong, who is also Kota Sentosa state lawmaker, cited as an example PKR secretary general Rafizi Ramli, who exposed the infamous cow-condo scandal  and  at the end, he was charged under the provisions of BAFIA.

"I am sure Shukri knows the provisions of the law which prohibit any person from disclosing or even in possession of another person’s bank account information.

"It is only the MACC or the Police who have the legal means to access to such information.  So, why ask me for these information when the MACC knows full well that it is against the law for me to produce such information," Chong asked.

"As such, I am puzzled by the repeated calls by MACC for me to produce further information on the matter.

"Is MACC setting a trap for me to step into or is MACC truly serious about investigating on the matter? 

"I also wish to tell the MACC officer, whatever in my possession, I have already disclosed in the press. 

"There is no additional information.  It is for the MACC now to use its statutory power to get more information, if it is minded to investigate the matter.


"However, it the MACC officer is still minded to visit me in my office, they are most welcome." Chong said.

No comments: