Saturday, 29 November 2025

SAINS has successfully developed DeepSar, an artificial intelligence (AI) model application similar to China's DeepSeek

DALAT, Nov 29 2025:The Sarawak government, through its technology agency Sarawak Information Systems Sdn Bhd (SAINS), has successfully developed its own Artificial Intelligence (AI) model application, named 'DeepSar', demonstrating that the region is on a par with global Information Technology (IT) innovation.

Abang Johari: I requested SAINS to create 'DeepSar' to allow our local language (Sarawak dialect) to be translated automatically and immediately 

Premier Abang Johari Openg said the application was developed to be conceptually similar to China's 'DeepSeek' model, a free chatbot application for iOS and Android.

He revealed that 'DeepSar' is currently undergoing several phases of development before its official introduction to the public.

"Just as ChatGPT provides automated answers to queries, China has already released its 'DeepSeek' application.

“So, I requested SAINS to create 'DeepSar' to allow our local language (Sarawak dialect) to be translated automatically and immediately,” he said.

“Today, they have successfully accomplished this," he  added.

Speaking at the official opening ceremony of the Centre of Technical Excellence Sarawak (CENTEXS) Dalat today, he said this type of initiative is part of an effort to form a new, IT-based economy, which will open up opportunities for the use of AI in the tourism, education, and digital communication sectors.

The premier also praised the effectiveness of the 'Language Centre' at CENTEXS Dalat which introduces a similar function to 'DeepSar' by translating the Melanau language into other languages, including Malay, Iban, and English.

"This Language Centre is specifically for tourists. For example, if we go to France and do not speak the language, we download an application that enables us to translate our language into French.

“The function is the same, that is, to facilitate communication."

He also  emphasised that the opening of CENTEXS Dalat provides young people in the district with the opportunity to access high-tech courses locally and practically, without the need to travel to CENTEXS Mukah.

He further clarified that the new branch offers internationally recognised courses, which will indirectly allow the younger generation to master modern skills and contribute to the development of the digital economy.

"Here, our young people can learn and be trained in various cutting-edge technological expertise. I offer my congratulations on the establishment of this CENTEXS, which provides opportunities for the young generation to use modern technology and transform the state's economy towards greater excellence," he said.

Abang Johari also witnessed the exchange of Memorandums of Understanding (MoU) between CENTEXS and HUAWEI, GAMUDA Technologies, and Taylor's University, followed by an MoU between CENTEXS Commercial Sarawak and the DSM Group.

Also present at the function were Minister for Women, Early Childhood and Community Wellbeing Development and Dalat Assemblywoman Fatimah Abdullah, Sarawak Secretary Mohamad Abu Bakar Marzuki, Malaysian Deputy Minister of Economy and Mukah Member of Parliament Hanifah Hajar Taib, CENTEXS chairman Mohamad Morshidi Abdul Ghani and Mukah Division Resident Kueh Lei Poh.

 

 

 

Investigation will be initiated if there is a report lodged against Zaid, Home Minister says

KOTA SAMARAHAN, Nov 29 2025: Home Minister Saifuddin Nasution Ismail has said investigation will be initiated if there is any police report lodged against former Law Minister Zaid Ibrahim over his call for the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63) to be annulled and for Sarawak and Sabah to be made independent from Malaysia.

Saifuddin Nasution Ismail: No police report has been lodged against Zaid Ibrahim so far
 

In a podcast which was widely viralled on social media, Zaid also described Sarawak and Sabah were as  “burdens” left behind by the United Kingdom to Malaysia.

“We are waiting for the report. When someone makes a report, we will see under which Act and Section,” Saifuddin told reporters.

”As long as it has not happened (lodging report), we will comment further,” he said after officiating at the handing over of village adoption Madani programme at Kampung Sindang here.

Asked if the former minister could create unrest between Malaya, Sabah and Sarawak with his remarks, Saifuddin said:

“I can only comment on the government's stance on MA63. The federal government's commitment was translated through the appointment of Deputy Prime Minister Fadillah Yusof to chair a meeting between the federal government and Sabah and Sarawak regarding the commitment to implement the matters sealed in the agreement.

“Much progress has been achieved,” he said, adding that the federal government's commitment to the agreement must be assessed based on the implementation of what were agreed.

“Our focus is on what has not been fulfilled and what constraints need to be overcome,” he said.

“If there are comments by any individual (written or unwritten) that could affect good relations, and I invite the people to evaluate leaders like this.

“This is a leader who is already “outgoing”. He has his prime time. He was a member of parliament, had been a minister. He knows the legal background,” Saifuddin said.

“There is no reason to create unrest when the Madani government is focused on fulfilling what has been agreed.

“The people can evaluate leaders who do not show the importance of maintaining peace by controlling speech on matters that do not bring good,” he said.

Speaking during the debate on the 2026 State Budget two days ago, two Gabungan state legislative assembly members (SLMs) condemned Zaid over his disparaging remarks against Sarawak and Sabah.

Stakan SLM Hamzah Brahim wanted Zaid to be arrest immediately under the Sedition Act.

He had said that the former law minister should be arrested under the Sedition Act as his remarks could create unrest, incite dissatisfaction and enmity between Malaya, Sarawak and Sabah.

Daro SLM Safiee Ahmad also urged the relevant authorities to take firm action against former law minister “because it is clear that he had incited dissatisfaction and created enmity among the regions.”

He said the authorities should not allow people like Zaid to become termites which would destroy harmony that had been built by Malaysians all these years.

Premier says Megat Ardian is the best person to head AirBorneo Airlines

KUCHING, Nov 29 2025: Premier Abang Johari Openg has described Megat Ardian Wira Mohd Aminuddin as the best person to be appointed as the new chief executive officer (CEO) of  state-owned airlines AirBorneo which will start its operation next year.

Caption: Premier Abang Johari Openg (seated, centre) with the board members of the Sarawak Development Institute.  

He said Megat Ardian, former Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) chief aviation and strategy officer, will assume his role on January 1, 2026.

“We have secured the best individual to lead our airline, and the operational model of our carrier will be different from that of AirAsia and MAS (Malaysia Airlines).

“We have our own model that will deliver enhanced networks and improved connectivity within Sarawak,” he said  at the 30th anniversary dinner of the Sarawak Development Institute (SDI) last night.

He added that AirBorneo will also serve as a link for international travellers to discover Sarawak’s unique destinations and cultural attractions, including locations recognised by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

He noted that world-renowned attractions such as the Borneo Cultures Museum (BCM), along with UNESCO World Heritage Sites like Mulu and Niah, as well as the state’s Geopark, stand as valuable assets capable of drawing visitors to Sarawak.

However, the premier pointed out that high airfares have long been a major barrier for visitors hoping to experience these remarkable attractions.

“That is why we established AirBorneo, to address such limitations,” he explained.

Present at the anniversary dinner were Sarawak Secretary Mohamad Abu Bakar Marzuki, Financial Secretary Wan Lizozman Wan Omar, Deputy Minister for Transport Henry Harry Jinep, Deputy Sarawak Secretary (Administration), Buckland Bangik, Deputy Sarawak Secretary (Operation), Hii Chang Kee  and chairman of SDI Jaul Samion.