Saturday, 15 August 2026

His federal government will never sideline Sabah and Sarawak, Anwar reiterates

KUCHING, Aug 15 2026: Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim has reiterated that the federal government, under his leadership, has never sidelined Sabah and Sarawak, nor opposition-held states, in the national development agenda.

Caption: Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim says Sabah and Sarawak must be part of the nation-building programme

"To our friends in Sabah and Sarawak, I want to say that whatever our weaknesses may be, this is the first party and government in history that does not view the demands of Sabah and Sarawak as side issues,” he said, quoted by the New Straits Times.

"It is a national agenda, and we want to succeed as one nation. Sabah and Sarawak must be part of this nation-building programme," he said n his policy speech at the 2026 PKR National Congress at the Melaka International Trade Centre (MITC) today.

The prime minister said he will make several announcements regarding changes to the government starting late this month, culminating in the tabling of 2027 Budget in early October.

Anwar also said he would address internal PH and other party matters.

"So I hope tomorrow, after we listen to the debate today and tomorrow, I will address what I can regarding policy, the unity government, and national programmes.

"Secondly, ahead of Independence Day on Aug 30, I will share my views before the historic day of Aug 31, and leading up to Malaysia Day on Sept 16 in Kuching.

Following that, I will summarise several urgent changes that need to be implemented in the 2027 Budget this October.

"I have these three milestones, and God willing, we will execute them to the best of our ability," he said.

Also present were PKR and unity government leaders, including PKR deputy president Nurul Izzah Anwar, Gabungan Rakyat Sabah (GRS) chairman Hajiji Nor and Amanah president Mohamad Sabu.

Anwar, who is also the finance minister, acknowledged that the failure to translate policies effectively was not due to weak policies, but rather shortcomings in leadership communication.

"It is not the fault of the foundation; it is our own fault for lacking the skill to communicate effectively, and perhaps because certain matters have yet to be finalised.

"We cannot deny one thing: economic performance is good and all numbers are impressive, including Bank Negara's projection reaching up to six per cent for this quarter. But it will fail to touch and win the hearts of the people if our communication is weak," he sai

No comments: